April 11, 2011

basic step by step painting guide for US vehicles in the Vietnam war.

As promised here is a quick run down on how to paint US vehicles in the Vietnam war.

Note: this step by step assumes you have an airbrush and have access to Tamiya colour acrylic paint.

Step 1: base coat the model with black primer.
Step 2: spray the model xf-62 olive drab.
Step 3: using the panel fade technique spray a 50/50 mix of xf-62 olive drab and xf-60 dark yellow.
Step 4: again using the panel fade technique spray a 25/75 mix of xf-62 olive drab and xf-60 dark yellow.
Step 5: once step 4 is dry apply a thin magic wash over the whole model.

At this point you have done all the basic body work for the vehicle. In my next post ill talk about detailing the model , dirt, dust and paint chipping ect..
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

5 comments:

WEBGriffin said...

Questions:

Does the wash step help blend the 3 colors to a smoother transition or do you use the airbrush to get the transition? I have seen people even use another very light basecoat to get the transitions blended.

Kiwicolourstudio@gmail.com said...

The airbrushing of the three colors gives a slightly fuzzy effect. The wash helps bring all three colors together by smoothing out the fuzzy effect.

WEBGriffin said...

Got it! I will try that on my British Armored. I have discovered that I am causing the effect to obscure after I do a light basecoat over it, then a wash, then the dullcote. I think your method will really work for me!

Allen

Markovy said...

Cool technique Mr H... they look very good for real too! I must say, those models are bloody awesome... the details is top-notch!

Kiwicolourstudio@gmail.com said...

Yep i love the Sheridan. looking forward to getting some free time so i can finish them and do a step by step for all the details..